Thursday 10 October 2013

Like it.


I could respond to this week's Sprue Cutters' Union question – What do you like to build? – with a one-word answer: aircraft. However the Union members demand a little more thought than that so I feel the need to expand a little...

I like to build 1/72 aircraft. I have some 1/48 models on my shelf and can appreciate the extra detail that they allow, but there's something about a well executed 72nd scale model that is almost jewel-like. When I attend a Nats I'm drawn towards the small-scale subjects with their exquisite details and immaculate finishes. There are obvious practical reasons for choosing 1/72 too – they occupy less space and there's a much greater variety of available subjects than in 1/48 scale.

I like to build unusual aircraft subjects. At model shows I'll walk by the ranks of Bf 109s, Corsairs, Fw 190s and Spitfires with nary a glance, in favour of a tiny gyrocopter or a Breguet Alize (yes, I also like ugly aircraft). That isn't to say I won't build a mainstream subject – an Eduard 1/72 Bf110 currently occupies centre stage on my workbench – but the majority of my stash is of more obscure types.

I like to build biplanes, and 1950s jets. Those are the two genres that I find the most appealing. As much as rigging biplanes can be tedious and frustrating, the satisfaction in completing the task far outweigh the difficulties. And 50's jets are just downright cool with their fancy colour scheme bravado and Gerry Anderson-esque details.

I like to build old aircraft kits that need re-scribing. There, I've said it. The same comments apply to rescribing as I mentioned above regarding rigging; it's tedious, repetitive and constantly prone to disaster. But when it's done and the plastic has been polished and that old Airfix kit looks like a new-tool Hasegawa (in my mind, at least) it's all worth it. It's also one of the few modelling tasks I can do upstairs to keep my wife company while she's watching a TV show, as there are no sofa-melting solvents involved.  

This post doesn't tell the whole story as I do enjoy occasionally dabbling in other genres, notably armour. But, if I was stranded on a desert island and only allowed a stash of 30 kits, at least 29 of them would fit into the criteria described.

Other Union posts: 


1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats. 
1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats. 

1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats.
1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats.
1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats.
1/72 models (not mine) photographed at various Nats.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! 1/72 aircraft is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to me in liking obscurer types - nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bud, great post. I love the pics you chose and also that, like me and also some of the other members, you swim against the tide and go for the less obvious kits. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete